Sunday, 7 September 2014

My Line drawings

My line drawings are usually descriptive. I find that they are useful for me to get a sense of the shape that the armour has and help me to formulate the image in the round. 

I usually begin with a simple sketch in pencil to obtain the shape and when I am happy with it I erase any unwanted lines and use a Dip-pen and Indian ink to re draw the image. 

The line drawings often seem flat and can loose cohesion when using just one thickness of line, so I will often use the pen in such a way that the outlines of certain objects are thicker. This is done by simply pressing harder on the pen.

Many of my line drawings show the form of a particular type or part of an armour.

You can see more of my  line drawings by clicking the link below 
http://paulfranciswalker.blogspot.co.uk/p/iagram.html

Early 15th century Harness                                                                   14th century Coat of plates

16th century Harness                                                                    Elizabethan leg protection




To see my book follow

1 comment:

  1. Superb illustrations - you're not only a talented artist, but a great historian.

    ReplyDelete